Category Archives: Testing

Thrust Bearing Test

If we were perfect fishermen, our reels would not need any provision for thrust loads on the spool (i.e., loads in the direction of the spindle axis). A fish on the line creates a torque on the spool, which we … Continue reading

Posted in Testing, Thrust Bearing | 3 Comments

Hardness Test

On 15 Dec 2012, I posted about some aluminum rod stock that was supposed to be 7075, but might be something else because it did not anodize properly. I theorized that it might be 2024 (a known poor anodizer) because … Continue reading

Posted in Measuring, Testing | Leave a comment

Pawl Testing at Higher Speed

This is the seventh posting in this blog on durability testing of ratchet and pawl materials. Previous posting are: 1. Picture of tester based on a “gearmotor”, 25 rpm (30 May 2010) 2. First results from tester (22 Aug 2010) … Continue reading

Posted in Click, Pawl, Testing | 6 Comments

Two More Plastics for Pawls

Someone brought Ertalyte and Ertalyte TX to my attention as possible materials for pawls. The data sheet properties looked promising, so I bought a small quantity of each and made pawls. I tested these on the low speed tester, as … Continue reading

Posted in Materials, Pawl, Testing | Leave a comment

Pawl Wear Test, Higher Speed

My original pawl wear test (post of Nov. 16, 2010 ) used a gearmotor that ran at 20 rpm.  The wear pattern on a pawl showed an impression on the flank of the pawl where each ratchet tooth initially made contact, … Continue reading

Posted in Pawl, Testing | 3 Comments

Pawl Wear Test, Redone

Refer to earlier posts titled “Results of Pawl Wear Test” (Aug 2010) and “The gearmotor that wasn’t a gearmotor” (Sept 2010). After discovering a possible misoperation of my first pawl test fixture, I built a new tester using a real … Continue reading

Posted in Click, Pawl, Testing | Leave a comment

The gearmotor that wasn’t a gearmotor

First of all, I must say that the pawl test data that I previously posted (Aug. 22, 2010 : Results of Pawl Wear Test) cannot be relied upon. I now realize that the “gearmotor” that I used for this test … Continue reading

Posted in Click, Pawl, Testing | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Loctite Assembly of Spool

My first reel design has a multi-part spool: anodized aluminum for the spool ends and copper alloy (bronze) for the shaft. I could have saved weight by using an aluminum shaft, but I could not reconcile myself to having aluminum … Continue reading

Posted in Bonding, Spool, Testing | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Results of Pawl Wear Test

Some background for this post is in a discussion on Rod and Reel Maker’s Forum. The discussion made me think of using plastic for the pawl. (In my reel design, replacing a worn pawl takes only a screwdriver, for backplate … Continue reading

Posted in Click, Pawl, Testing | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Life Test of Pawl and Ratchet

To find better materials for the ratchet and pawl, I made this test fixture from a 25 rpm gearmotor. Initially the ratchet is 642 bronze and the pawl is 6061T6 aluminum. I expect the aluminum to wear quickly. May try … Continue reading

Posted in Click, Pawl, Ratchet/Gear, Testing | Tagged , | 4 Comments